Sunday, June 2, 2013

Guru (Part 2)

“I am afraid I have some terrible news about your friend,” he said.
“To tell the truth, I just met him, but what is this news you speak of?” I replied.
“I have done as much as I can for the… man…” he seemed hesitant at this point, “but I am afraid there is little to be done, he is at his end.” At this the healer sighed.
I could feel that something more was behind his words. “What else are you not telling me?” I inquired.
“Well… whilst I was trying my best at restoring him, I came across some things that are very interesting.”
“Well out with it man…?” I implored.
“For one, your man here is not actually a man. He seems to be wearing stilts under his pants to make him taller.” He came closer to my ear and whispered, “I believe he is a dwarf, sir.”
“And…?” I asked, wondering why any dwarf would need to disguise himself as a man.
“It seems he has a tattoo on his left arm.” The healer said blankly.
“So?” I replied.
“Well it is a very ancient tattoo, only one that dwarves high up in the really old culture would have, but no dwarf I’ve seen the my life has ever had one like this.”
“So, tell me, what all is to be done with him?”
“The only thing I can suggest is to make him comfortable…” With this the healer went back into the room. I followed, and paid him for his services. Then I picked up the dwarf and walked him back to my hotel room. Laid him upon the bed and waited.
It was at this point I reflected on my own death. This is certainly how I would want it to be, in the company of a fellow warrior, as my last life’s breath were leaving me. While I was pondering this idea, the dwarf stirred. I was to my feet almost immediately.
“Graahhck,” he said slightly muffled in the pillow.
“How may I help you, sir?” I questioned.
“Ah… an Alyrian,” he stated, “I need to tell my story before my life is gone.”
“Please do,” I pushed, “I would be glad to pass your story on to generations that come after both you and I.”
His voice was very gruff, and his grasp of the Alyrian language was a little muddled, but I will try to recount as much of his story as I can here:
The Dwarf warrior’s name was Guru; he was the son of Gerenuk, who happened to be King Degnar’s high general. He told of when he was mere child, how the dwarfish empire sprawled all over the place. He used to spend time at his fathers side while they made tactical plans of where they should conquer next. He recounted playing out in the high grass with his young friends; they had no fear of anyone. The dwarf empire under King Degnar was the strongest anyone had ever seen. No one dared to mess with any dwarf at that time. Everything felt like it was in harmony. Then one day it would all be changed forever.

-V-

No comments:

Post a Comment