Monday, April 22, 2013

A World Alone (Part 3)

I need to get out of her house, think of the places she might be. I hop into my car and start it; the next few hours are a blur. I drive to every haunt I’ve been to with her, every place she has described in our long talks that we’ve had. No one is around, not a single person anywhere. I drive frantically, nearly out of control to each of my usual haunts, searching for some one, any one. Perhaps someone I have seen in passing, someone I know. But the streets are empty, the places closed and locked.
I start to think this is some really cruel elaborate joke. I start screaming, “Okay guys you got me. You can come out now!” I know terribly cliché, but what else have I got. My mind falls back to all the Twilight Zone episodes I have watched where what seems to be happening in them is happening to me. Perhaps this is just a really bad dream, a nightmare? I don’t know. I try to will myself awake. It’s never worked in a dream before for me, so I know it is a futile attempt anyways.
Logically, I am left with two conclusions: either this is a dream and I will wake up soon enough, or this is not a dream and I’m alone out here. The easier to accept option lands in my mind as a focus. This has to be a dream; everything will be okay. I just have to make it till I wake up. What would I do, I ask myself, if I were all alone in this world? The answers start coming in quickly.
I go to all the places that were restricted before. Every closed door I have ever wondered what was behind it, I open. I know there will be no consequences. I take a trip to D.C. and wonder through all the hidden parts of the Smithsonian’s. I explore congress and the hidden places in the archive. Days stretch on. I drive out to Area 51, and search through it. Surprisingly there’s nothing there of any real interest. Sometimes my imagination fails me, oh well. I go back home after months of searching around. I rack my brain for things to do, but everything I think of I’d rather be doing with someone, sharing memories. Boredom starts to set in.
Then it strikes me, I have always wanted to drive on the roads at really high speeds and see how good I am at driving insanely fast. I would need a really good car though. I remember driving 350Z, a well to do friends car, it handled like a dream, had great pickup and grabbed the road like it was no ones business.
I drove my crappy car to the closest dealership that would have one of these cars. Breaking into the dealership is really easy when you’re sure no one is coming to take you away. I find my quarry and quickly get it going and out onto the road. I rip through the city at defying speeds. It gets to the point that I start to scare myself at how fast I have always been willing to go on these roads, but fear of loosing my license or hurting someone else has kept me from doing so.

-V-

No comments:

Post a Comment