Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dry Spell (Part 2)

He pulled off his glasses to absentmindedly clean them with the corner of his lab coat. “At the current rate of ‘devisoration,’ as we are calling it, lakes and rivers will be completely dry within two years. The oceans as deep as we believe them to be, will be dry within ten years. We have our top minds on the problem, but as of yet we have no solutions as to the cause or long-term effects. We are working night and day to come up with a good solution. We will let the public know as soon as any progress is made. For now all we can say is try to conserve water as best you can.”
The room erupted into a cacophony of reporters’ questions and outbursts. The presidential seal appeared on the screen, and then the world fell silent for a short time. What was going to happen now? Would we be living in a strange new land, were lawlessness takes over? The only thing I was sure of, things were about to get real abnormal around here.
I rushed to my front door and ripped it open, plunged outside and stared up into the sky. Nothing looked different: clouds, airplanes, the sun; all was in order and normal. I reclaimed the feeling that this was all just a silly hoax. Someone was having fun at my expense.
“Do you believe it?” A voice drifted over to me from the apartment next door. “I mean, can it really be true? Are we finally doomed?” The questioning voice emanated from my neighbor, Tia Capucine, a late twenty-something bombshell of a girl. She was perhaps five foot four inches tall, had chestnut brown hair, which was pulled back into a tight ponytail that just went past her shoulders in length. Her skin was a creamy dark olive and her eyes were a deep brown and had energy emitting from them like burning embers.
I have had a thing for this girl ever since she moved in two years ago. She was a graduate student studying history; specifically ancient Mesopotamia sparked great interest in her. She seemed to be very intrigued by the Fertile Crescent. I can’t say I much cared for history, but for her I’m sure I could learn volumes on the subject.
“I’m not sure what to believe right now,” I responded, “I mean, it’s sort of unbelievable. One day they just decide to drop an information bomb on us of this magnitude? No, I’m pretty sure someone is having a good laugh, much like Orson Welles infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast.” I smiled reassuringly at her, but she looked pensive nonetheless.
“I wonder,” she said, pondering the question, “I called a few people at the university in the chemistry and biology departments that I have made friends with. I think they have seen data that corroborates the story.”
“You’re putting me on.” I jovially answered.
“Not at all,” she said seriously, “I’m pretty sure these guys wouldn’t lie to me. And think about it; what if all this ‘global warming’ hype was really us misunderstanding the intrinsic issue, just like we need water to sweat out to stay cool, so does the earth?”

-V-

No comments:

Post a Comment