Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dry Spell (Part 1)

“NEWSFLASH!!! An important announcement will be broadcast on all stations in ten minutes…” it read across the bottom of the screen on my television set. I wasn’t paying too much attention until a loud beep started coming from the set. Whatever it was, it was not a test. So I sat patiently, waiting. The screen cleared and I was looking at the white house backdrop. Oh no, I thought to myself, we were finally in a full-scale war with one of the many countries our government has wronged along the way. Or possibly some fanatical group was crazily trying to make a name for themselves, or any other number of insane plots that would lead us down yet another abyss for our economy and lifestyle.
I waited the longest five minutes ever sitting there staring at the flags slowly saunter in the background. It was the only movement on the screen, very eerie. Finally the President walked into frame and up to the podium. I could feel the tension in the pressroom permeate into my living room.
“My fellow Americans, and people of the world, it is with great urgency that I must make this speech. Some people may have noticed the recent changes. It is on a very small scale at the moment, but I have been informed it will reach global proportions very soon.” He paused to take a drink of water; one could see a visible quiver in his arm as he did so. “Our top scientists and those from around the world have confirmed that our water table is reversing itself. Simply put, rain is going in reverse. I cannot explain the reach or implications of this information, so I will turn the podium over to a top American scientist who can explain further. Dr. Schmeckle, if you please.”
My jaw dropped. I ran over to the calendar that sits on my desk in the office. It was certainly not April first, and this was not simply an elaborate joke. I could not hear any laughing though my television from the pressroom either. This was real. I started getting text messages, left and right, from friends, obviously news was travelling fast.
Dr. Schmeckle eased onto the platform soundlessly. He was improbably old looking, but you could see a youthful fire in his impossibly blue eyes. He wore a traditional empowering white lab coat, but lacked all the other traditional mad scientist accoutrements. I was honestly hoping for rubber gloves or welding goggles; the best I was going to get were a pair of thick-rimmed glasses that he wore. His hair was slicked back with copious amounts of gel and was as white as freshly fallen snow.
“As you have already heard the President say,” His voice was low and hearty, “The water tables are reversing. In essence, clouds are no longer depositing rain on the earth, but rather sucking up water like a sponge, and then it is disappearing, we’re not sure how.”

-V-

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete