Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fumpsy (Part 2)

“My name is Gromus, and yes a badger is not normally found around these parts.” Gromus said, as he sidled to the left. “I have been travelling for days now in search of a particular healer.”
“A healer?”
“Yes, you see I was wounded in the great battle to the north, and I am in need of repair.”
Fumpsy looked hard at the dejected badger, and found that he was gripping haughtily at is side. The fur was matted and covered in dried blood, mixed with remnants of mud as a poultice. Fumpsy examined the rest of the beast, Gromus was at least twice the size of Fumpsy, and his fur was a drab gray. It looked, however, that he used to have a bountiful dark shimmering coat once. His eyes were a blued-gray that hinted at a creature who had seen many indelible acts, most likely dubious in nature. Gromus' brow furrowed as he noticed that Fumpsy was intently studying him.
“You look as if you’ve never seen a badger.” Gromus stated.
“Well…” Fumpsy replied, “I have, but never up close. To tell the truth, only in pictures that my father used to show me before the great famine.”
“Great famine?” Gromus inquired.
“Yes, about five years ago, the soil stopped giving decent fruit, and the streams and lakes became poisoned with disease. Margus, the sage owl, explained to us that the lands were unhappy, something was creating a division within her breast.”
“Five years you say?”
“About five, yes. It was after the first year that my father passed. I was disheartened, but I have a family to take care of, so I had to be strong. We have survived on what we can find, but sometimes that almost isn't enough.”
“What name do you go by, young hare?” Gromus questioned.
“I am Fumpsy. I’m a simple rabbit.”
“Well, Fumpsy if you help me out, perhaps I can find it in me, to help you. You have no idea what I can do for you, but just know this; my word is as good as any real thing you'll ever find anywhere. What do you say?”
The hare considered the question. The badger could be a great asset to him, Gromus was strong and large, and at the very least he could be intimidating if the situation ever called for it. But why should he trust him? Fumpsy was unsure. He felt that perhaps it would be in his best interests to ally with the badger, what was the worst that could happen?
“Gromus, I think we can be allies. What is it you need for me to do?”
“I heard you mention a sage owl… Margus?” Gromus said with a raised eyebrow. “Would it be possible to fetch him? I have a feeling he will know exactly how to patch me up.”
“Yes, I can certainly do that! I know exactly were he is at this time of day. I’ll be right back.” Fumpsy turned and hopped off into the forest heading towards Margus’ home.

-V-

No comments:

Post a Comment