Friday, May 31, 2013

The Traveler

“I never thought much about the man,” I recounted to my friend. “He was just there on the trail sometimes. Most times he wasn’t.”
“Yeah? So what? You saw a guy on the trail, and?” Janni wasn’t a very supportive friend, but you take what you can get sometimes. I’d just known them so long they sort of became my best friend by default.
“I don’t think you get it,” I replied a little exasperated, “I followed him.”
“Oh, so you were creeping on him?” Her expression was a little tongue in cheek, “that’s nice.”
“No!” I quickly asserted, “I don’t think you understand what I mean. I didn’t stalk him or anything, I just happened to be behind him when it happened. Riding at my own pace on my bike on one of those perfect days. You know the kind: sun out but cheating behind the clouds on a regular basis, mid seventies, light breeze, but not enough to make pushing into the wind a hassle. Anyhow…
“I knew it was him from a distance. He always wears the exact same outfit, always has his large white beard trimmed the same way. The wisps of white hair beneath his wide brimmed hat always carefully groomed into the same position.”
“Are you sure you weren’t stalking him?” Janni interjected.
“Absolutely NOT!” I held my eye contact with her a little longer than I normally would, it was slightly uncomfortable, but I needed to be sure that she was taking me seriously. This had done the trick she was taken aback. “It may not show on my face, but I’ve been gone a long time.”
“Long time? I was hanging out with you just last week.”
“I’ve been away for years, but time and aging work different there. I really wish I could explain it better to you. It was brilliant and a nightmare all at the same time. But that’s not the point. The point is the man.”
“Are you feeling okay?” She asked with concern showing deep in her face.
“Yes!” I screamed. I just needed to get this out. I need to get my point across. I didn’t know how long I had. I calmed myself and continued, “yes, I’m absolutely fine, but I’m sort on time and need to tell you about the man before I have to go back.”
“Go back? It doesn’t sound like you really want to.”
“I don’t,” I assured her, “but I don’t have a choice in the matter. They will be coming for me really soon. Listen, it’s all about that man. Everything is related to him, he is the center of this. I never should have gotten caught in his wake, but I did.”
“What do you want me to do?” She asked. I think I was finally getting through to her.
“I need you to…” They came. They plucked me from our reality before I could finish. I will always wonder how she reacted to that. I just hope she doesn’t try to follow me here. That would be the absolute worst thing she could do. But perhaps that was their plan all along, I’ll never know.

-V-

2 comments:

  1. very well written. i like how the vague storyline is left up to the reader's imagination to conclude.

    thesolacist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete